It’s the first day back at school tomorrow. (Well, it’s a Teacher’s Only Day, but it still counts.) And, just like every year, I am a bundle of nerves and anxiety. I feel as if there is so much I need to get done and I haven’t even stood in front of my classes yet.
Logically, I know that it’s going to be fine but I still get those nerves. I also get them at the end of every break that I have. Random bursts of negative thinking seem to loom and I have to reassure myself that I am good at my job and I am doing my best.
So, I thought I would write a post where I outline what I do to help calm my nerves and go over my ‘self care’ plan for this year. Also, I’m not a doctor nor a medical professional – remember to always seek medical advice if you are worried. One thing I have been struggling to learn is that you are the most important person in your life. If you aren’t well then you can’t do or be your best in front of that class…
Sunday/Day Before School
- I prepare my outfits for the week. I’m that kind of organised person. I set out 5 days of clothes – normally all on one hanger – so I don’t have to worry about what I have to wear. (This takes me about 5-10 minutes because I wear a combination of dress/tights/cardigan etc – it works for me).
- I listen to music and dance around my living room. The act of moving (and sometimes singing) does wonders for my nerves.
- I have a pinterest board with positive quotes and other motivational things to help me feel more positive.
- If I’m really feeling antsy I’ll have a hot shower or bath in the evening.
- I drink tea – normally chamomile if I don’t think I’m going to sleep well.
- Then, while drinking the tea, I’ll watch some Netflix or read before turning in for an early night.
My Self Care Plan
Those who know me know that I work hard. If you believe in those personality type tests etc I am a INFJ and Type A personality. I take my work very seriously and give more of myself than I probably should so this year I am trying to put into place some plans to ensure that I look after myself a little more than I have done in the past.
I feel a little guilty even thinking about putting myself first for some strange reason but that is part of the ‘fixed mindset’ (to use educational terms) that I want to move away from. So, I plan to attempt the following in order to make sure I’m the best me that I can be…
- Leave before 4 at least twice a week. (Though this might not always be possible but it is a starting point.)
- Use my non-contact time extremely efficiently.
- Learn to say no a little more confidently.
- I have scheduled in movie/tv nights with friends once a week.
- Exercise regularly. I walk to school but I want to add more onto that as well.
- Meditate frequently.
- Try not to take too much work home – and try to keep my weekends to myself.
Obviously this list is a work in progress and I will have lapses but I am focused on making this year really positive and rolling with the punches, so to say, more readily.
So, fellow teachers and friends, what are your self care tips? What do you do to calm yourself? Feel free to leave a comment below with ideas or advice.
Peace and Pancakes
P.S. I’m going to move my CURRENTLY listing to another day. I want to regularly update this blog so I want to have scheduled days for things. 🙂